Friday, June 12, 2009

Reflection Eternal - Back Again


Reflection Eternal is hands down one of the best albums in Hip Hop's history. Ask a true Hip Hop enthusiast to name the greatest albums of all time and I guarantee Reflection Eternal is in their top ten. This album changed my entire view on the world and Hip Hop as a whole during my teenage years. After listening to this album, coupled with Mos Def's Black on Both Sides and Black Star's Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star... I couldn't turn back to listening to "gangsta rap" as I once did. I still listened but not in the influential way I once did. And to top it all off, those 3 albums are the reason I'm an MC today. And to this day I strive to write lyrics/verses/songs that will help influence someone's life for the better as they did for me.

So it brings me great pleasure to announce that Reflection Eternal is coming out with a new album. Their first album dropped in 1999 for heaven's sake. It's been 10 years. This album is long over due. They're just as bad as Pharoahe Monch and his 10 year album hiatus. But that's a rant for a different post on some other day.

This is Back Again, the single off their new album. I don't care much for the music video. Only because it doesn't have much to do with the song. I think they could have created a better concept for a music video. But I guess using the barber shop as a metaphor for having to "come back" or that they're "back again" is pretty clever. Atleast I think that's what they're getting at. With Talib being so deep most of the time, you have to just read between the lines. I don't know. You decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment